Thursday, December 17, 2009

King Ding Takes it Like a Pro

Tonight I saw the Rifftrax crew do a live, broadcast-to-theaters holiday extravaganza riff. For those not familiar with Rifftrax, it's the same guys who did Mystery Science Theater 3K back in the day. And for those not familiar with MST3K, you can check out a few of their recently-added episodes on Hulu.com. Basically it's three very smart, very funny guys who make fun of movies, commercials and short films.

There was much to laugh at tonight, but perhaps two of the oddest oddities among many tonight, were the following two commercials. These are actual products, mind you. It sort of makes me wonder when the world at large became aware of homoerotic overtones...because it certainly wasn't back when they made these. I give you the Dingalings, and Gaylord the Robotic Pup.



1 Comments:

Blogger lmha said...

Wow, is all I can say to the Dingalings. Too many homoerotic references to tackle. Point well taken. But when I watch these, especially Gaylord, I'm left mostly with, "Who in their right mind thought these toys were fun?!" Gaylord might work for a severely depressed child. The pace alone is coma-inducing. I don't get it.

But the announcer voices made me a little nostalgic for old TV. Just the voiceovers make the world seem like it was so much simpler then.

December 18, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home