Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Happy Birthday to Boy Hates Girl

It's been exactly one year since I launched BoyHatesGirl.com, a fact made painfully clear to me when the domain and hosting renewals were automatically charged to my credit card this morning. It's been a fun year doing the blog and I'm happy to say that I've pretty much accomplished what I'd set out to do. I'd hoped to do at least one post a day and, while that wasn't always the case, I did end up averaging almost exactly that. I had no expectation of what sort of audience I might find beyond friends and stalkers, but Year One drew 11,695 visitors according to my site meter, and the traffic has been steadily increasing each month.

As for the content, that's been a little difficult to focus. As my friend and fellow blogger John W. has pointed out from time to time, blogging is hard work! There's a constant need to come up with new things to write about, which often leads to inconsequential posts just to fill space. It's also a time consuming endeavor---something which has forced me to abandon longer posts which became irrelevant by the time I finally finished them. On the plus side, the people who visit this blog...some of which end up sticking around...come from a wide spectrum. I have readers who are fans of Rick Springfield, fans of the Texas Rangers, fans of politics, fans of movies, and fan(s) of me. That last category is basically my sister. Thanks, sis. Anyway, it's not what you might call a niche blog. It's a little bit of everything.

So what's in store for BHG in year two? Probably fewer posts, but hopefully of higher quality. Maybe a few more op-ed styled posts. And likely some other bizarre fixation to replace the Rick Springfield thing. Anyhoo, thanks for reading and thanks for the comments and support. I'll keep at it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bubbles von BonBon said...

Happy birthday, BoyHatesGirl. I think once baseball season is over, we'll get along better. I have no idea when that might be. Hope you don't like other sports as much, BHG.

x:)o:)x:)o Bubbles vBB

October 1, 2009 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Kraig Smith said...

Thanks, Bubbles. Baseball season ended (in my mind) about a week ago. I'll keep the football stuff to a minimum, I promise. :)

October 1, 2009 at 2:31 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Readers are demanding more posts reliving your days as a competitive equestrian - complete with detailed illustrations and maybe even a recolored family video of you in your formal horsey outfit. Eh, EH?

October 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM  
Blogger JMW said...

Happy Birthday, BHG. I hope you smashed chocolate cake all over your face.

October 2, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home