Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday Night Video

LIVE from my hotel room in Harrahs in Atlantic City, it's the final installment of the Rick Springfield countdown! Thank god! I mean---hooray? Look...I'm tired, I'm hungover, I need some bacon and eggs pronto or else I'm going to die, and the maid keeps knocking on my door wanting to change the sheets (NO ME MOLESTA!). I'm not gonna beat around the bush. The #1 song is Jessie's Girl. OF COURSE.

Rolling Stone voted it the #1 karaoke song of all-time (back-handed compliment, but we'll take it), lefty reliever Jesse Orosco used to enter games to it when he pitched for the NY Mets (doesn't make sense), and it was the #1 song in the country when MTV hit the air on August 1, 1981. There's a good piece of trivia for'ya.

It was Rick's only #1 song and, let's face it, it's the only song any of you people claim to ever have heard by him. I've routinely disproved this notion, however, and if I had a nickel for every time I played a song for one of you only to hear, "Oh, yeah, I know that song. That was him?", I'd be able to pay for my bacon and eggs this morning instead of waiting for scraps to fall from someone's plate.

Side Note: Screw you, Atlantic City.

Jessie's Girl won Rick the Grammy for Best Male Vocal Performance, and here's that very performance. He gets introduced by the late John Denver, and then you can watch his very short but very sweet acceptance speech at the end. Ladies and gentleman, I give you...Jessie's Girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home