Friday, February 20, 2009

Irwin v. Erwin. Ooops.

I have a strange job at times. It's the kind of job that allows me to have casual conversations with Tony Bennett on occasion. It's the kind of job where I have elevator doors slam on me whilst in the presence of Brangelina. But it's also the kind of ridiculous job that allows me to embarrassingly confuse little-known character actors---to wit, I give you the Bill Irwin versus Bill Erwin debacle.



That's Bill Irwin on the left, and that's Bill Erwin on the right. Both are actors you probably recognize. Both are still alive, though Irwin is 59 and Erwin is 94. Hearing the name over the phone, I jumped to the conclusion that "Erwin" was most likely the correct spelling---a conclusion that was immediately validated by a Google search with prominent results. Further research revealed Erwin graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in 1935...a full sixty years before I graduated from UT. Once I learned he had graduated with a journalism degree, I thought to check when Walter Cronkite had attended UT's School of Journalism. Sure enough they both attended school at the same time! I couldn't help but share my enthusiasm with the venerable actor from Honey Grove, Texas and ask about the experience.

I think you know where this is heading...

I'll only say that I should've been more suspicious of a 94-year-old man being able to open email attachments. That was a dead giveaway.

Awwwkward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home