Monday, February 16, 2009

The Perils of Blu-ray.

Now that I have a PS3 with Blu-ray capability, and now that I have a high-def flat-screen television capable of making said Blu-ray discs worthwhile, my default option on my Blockbuster-by-mail program is set to Blu-ray---natch. The problem with that is that the current demand for Blu-ray discs far exceeds the supply. And the problem with that is that it wrecks utter chaos on my not-so-carefully-selected queue.

I just returned from a long weekend in Chicago to find my two newest DVD arrivals---both of which have been festering near the bottom of my queue for almost two years. The first is the 2007 remake of The Hitcher, and the second is the bonus disc from the 3rd season of 24. The BONUS disc. Of a show I pretty much loathe. The worst part is that I'm mildly OCD when it comes to DVD extras. Even though I rarely like the "making of" segments that accompany almost all DVDs, I can't bring myself to mail it back until I've actually spent some time with it. Jesus.

Even worse than that, I just reviewed my queue and the bonus disc for Inland Empire is perilously close to being selected---dangling like the Sword of Damocles.

2 Comments:

Blogger JMW said...

I'm sure that Netflix is on its way to becoming its own Evil Empire, but I just can't think of a single good reason, at this point in history, to be supporting Blockbuster. It should die off as soon as possible. How I loathe it.

February 17, 2009 at 1:59 AM  
Blogger Kraig Smith said...

Obviously you do, but why, pray tell? I know Netflix is considered the en vogue choice by the cool kids, but aside from them being the innovator of DVD-by-mail, what did their copycat rival ever do to you to merit such hate? Their selection is the same, their cost is the same or better, their processing speed is as good or comparable, and they have actual stores (barely) where you can do exchanges. Also, wasn't Netflix the evil empire that secretly slowed down the turnaround times for subscribers deemed "frequent renters"? Indeed they were.

February 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home