Friday, January 2, 2009

Shrek the Musical: Making Your Kids Gay


Last night I saw Shrek the Musical at the Broadway Theatre, the latest in the line of Disney-inspired theater offerings, following on the heels of The Little Mermaid, Tarzan and others. After seeing it, the one thought I had above all others was that this is what right-wing homophobes are afraid of. Usually when insane "family values" groups like Focus on the Family are lamenting the decline of western civilization due to the encroachment of the "gay agenda" on family-safe venues, their complaints hold little to no merit. However, if they were to make the same accusation about Shrek the Musical, I think I'd probably think them less delusional---though I'd be equally indifferent to their suffering.

I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure every character in Shrek was played gay. Donkey, Pinocchio, Lord Farquaad, the Big Bad Wolf, Peter Pan...gay. All of them. As gay as the night is black. Even the Gingerbread Man was fisted by the Sugar Plum Faerie. The only character besides Shrek that was clearly not gay was The Gnome...who professed to having an unhealthy stalker-like obsession with Ariel from The Little Mermaid. If you think I'm kidding, consider that the Big Bad Wolf admits to being a "cross-dressing, hot tranny mess." Hot tranny mess. It's actually in the script. And the Donkey, way gay, doesn't even hook up with the Dragon as he did in the movie. He simply befriends her, making the Dragon Disney's equivalent of a 'fag hag'. Now, I do realize that some of these elements were contained in the film version, but if I was the kind of person who saw a gay agenda everywhere I looked, this show would've made my eyes pop out.

As for whether it's any good, yeah, not too bad. A little gay, and the music isn't memorable, but it's one of the best-looking stage productions I've ever seen and the laughs are faeriely consistent. Get it? Faeriely consistent.

5 Comments:

Blogger melody8h said...

I saw the play Wed on a field trip with 5th graders and I was thinking the exact same thing. I was kind of cringing thinking, what are all these parents chaperones thinking... then I thought... maybe only gay people notice this kind of stuff.

May 29, 2009 at 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't really think all of them were gay except Donkey and well, the actor is gay so I guess that makes sense. I do not like how the gay agenda is being pushed into our normal lives, its not normal, its not natural, and they are only like 3% of the population. Why does 3% get to force their views onto the rest of the group of people who don't really want to see it? Anyways, not really a fan of how Donkey was portrayed, he wasn't like that in the film so why do it in the play?

January 8, 2014 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

1. The actor was gay
2. Nothing was being forced upon anyone.
3. Homosexuality has been around forever, but your kind of people obviously don't accept it. Nobody's the same. Get over it.

June 19, 2017 at 12:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are you actually stupid or are you stupid?

June 19, 2017 at 12:48 AM  
Blogger Kraig Smith said...

Hi Nisa,

Are you referring to this post itself or the previous anonymous comment someone left in 2014?

June 21, 2017 at 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home