Tuesday, March 10, 2009

New Segment: Meet the Mets

Probably the thing I enjoy most about working at The Met is being constantly surrounded by so many talented people. The art is great, of course, but it's the people who make this institution matter to me. And, as you know, I usually hate people. Unlike at other places I've worked, almost every single person who works here has something "else" going on besides the daily grind of their 9 to 5 job. The people I work with are writers, painters, photographers, chefs, marathoners, musicians, and so much more.

Truthfully, working with such a talented group of people is both daunting and inspiring. From the administrative level to the executive level, it's rare to encounter someone here who is not endowed with some special talent. As such, it seems only right to use this space to occasionally highlight some of the good work my colleagues do. And since their work is so good, it serves the double purpose of taking up space without being boring. Score.

Batting leadoff is Mr. Alex Hills. He works in the Museum's web group, but evidently he still finds time to be a virtuoso keyboard player, songwriter, photographer and blogger. He's also like twelve. I hate him. While he's usually got several music projects going on at once (which you can read about here), the one which caught my ear this week is a new two-man band he's started called Purple Stuff. It's rilly rilly good. They've got more on the way, but here's their first two songs for your listening pleasure.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Kraig! I'm honored to be the first you mention of all the crazy talented people we work with.

March 11, 2009 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger Kraig Smith said...

Congrats! The trick now is making sure I don't leave anyone out in future installments.

March 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home